Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Behind the scenes look at the FÅÇÅDE illustration


This is the original illustration that is featured on the inner lining of the FÅÇÅDE branded toques. It originated as quick sketch of my own face from a mirrored reflection as I was bored one day. I started adding anatomical bones, lace details, flowers, and clockwork, and suddenly was faced with this strange looking creature that I liked the look of. 

I also used tracing paper to create the FÅÇÅDE branded logo from the structure of the girl's face. The more I kept drawing, I more I couldn't stop drawing up different variations! I was hooked.


Next I found a silk-screener in the Queen West neighborhood of Toronto to reproduce my image many times onto sheets of bamboo cotton. I was super impressed with the results! 



Next, to design my first toque prototype, I cut out one of the screen-printed images from the cotton, and pinned the fabric onto the inside of these charcoal, 11-inch toques. A seamstress helped me sew the lining into the toques, and voila! We had a working toque.

I spent a good couple of days shooting and editing a video for Kickstarter, a crowdfunding service to help raise funds in order to produce the first 50 toques. These are some behind the scenes shots as I edit the video. 


A shot in the studio at Seneca College Sandbox with my friend Julia. 


No comments:

Post a Comment